Selling one’s home typically isn’t the first thing to come to mind during the frigid winter months in Minnesota, especially around the holiday season. However, if you’re considering selling your home next spring, there are five reasons why you might want to think about selling it this winter instead:
1. Interest rates are still near record lows. Buyers are able to afford to borrow more money with the current low rates. The advantage to you: they can pay you more for your home! Of course, if the buyer is obtaining a mortgage to purchase your home, it still must appraise for at least the selling price or the buyer must put more cash down.
2. Inventory is still low. That means less competition among sellers. With less homes on the market for buyers to choose from, you may be able to command a higher sales price for your home.
3. Buyers are serious. If a buyer is looking for a home during the winter months, they’re typically a more serious buyer. The warmer spring and summer months tend to bring out the tire kickers and lookers. Winter buyers are out braving the cold because they really need to find a home.
4. Homes do sell in the winter. Yes they do. Of course there are more sales in the spring and summer but you’d be surprised at just how many sales occur during the winter months also.
5. Be settled before next summer. Summer is the best time to enjoy life in Minnesota. Why wait and be in the middle of trying to sell your home and relocating to a new home when you should be enjoying yourself? If you sell now, you can be moved and settled into a new home in time to enjoy the brief but nice summer that we have. It’s especially important if you’re considering moving to a lake home. You don’t want to miss any time on the lake!
So there you have it. No need to wait until the spring rush to sell your home. If you have any questions or want more info about selling, I’d be happy to help. Just give me a call or drop me a note.